Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 20, Day of the black out

Just as I was getting ready to make my piece yesterday at around 7 pm, bam out went the lights.  I guess I won't complain too much though since they were supposed to be out until tomorrow afternoon.  Diana and I went to Meijer to purchase batteries and other essentials to get through another night without power when just as I predicted, the lights were back on when we got home...with about 50 pounds of ice!

Anyway, I still wanted to make my piece so in the partial dark I began.  This was cathartic for me as I could not get too obsessive with everything being made to perfection.  This is what I came up with...
Wasn't sure what direction I was headed but after I rolled out the clay and impressed it with burlap, my hands headed towards this direction.  Somehow I noticed in the ever dimming light that there was a small hole that needed to be patched.  Once the patch was added, it reminded me of a pair of old farmer's work pants so I added some suspender handles and a couple of all American star buttons.  Not sure what I will do with it, but I think it is kinda cute.

Clay used: Runyan "Stoneware" purchased from a ceramic shop, owner had no clue when I asked her which kind
Beginning weight: 1 pound 3 ounces
Ending weight: 1 pound 2 ounces
Technique:  slab, burlap textured
Glaze used:

No comments: