Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August 15, Day 2

My plan for the day was to make a 3 footed bowl with a simple texture.  Either the clay was a bit too dry or, most likely, I handled the clay too much.  After making the feet and refining the shape of them, the texture I had added started to look as though the piece had lots of little cracks forming on the surface.  I used a metal rib and removed as much of the texture as possible.  The pot looked too plain to me so I decided to add the lid.  I really like the way it turned out.

This piece turned out to be a complete disaster.  I trusted the woman at the ceramic shop that the glaze I purchased would be ok in the kiln despite it saying cone 06 and I fire to cone 6.  She guaranteed it would work fine...guess she either lied or had no idea what she was talking about.

This was extremely upsetting as this was my mom's favorite piece and was to be her birthday gift.  Looks like I need to make another one for Christmas.

No comments: